If you were the new president, what would your priorities be? Not asking how you would make it happen, but what would you want to happen?
Here’s my list (off the top of my head).
- Economic recovery. Our economy is the engine that makes all other missions possible. It is the parent that should get the oxygen mask first (an analogy for the air travelers out there). To put it another way, “If Mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.”
- Freedom from attacks on our soil. No matter how much so many seem to hate George Bush, one cannot deny that he managed to keep us safe from attack since 9/11.
- Balance the federal budget. Why do you think we’re in this economic mess?
- Strict constructionist judges.
- Overhaul of our nation’s education system with a particular focus on primary education in our urban centers and accessibility for everyone to two years of college.
- Strengthening of consumer rights with respect to health insurance providers.
- Infrastructure. Our railways, bridges, and highways have suffered from neglect.
- Lower the obstacles to using public transit. Make public transit safe, cheap, convenient, ubiquitous, and cool.
- More federal support of nonprofit shelters, vocational training, health clinics, etc. providing services to the homeless and the poorest of our citizens.
- Stop direct federal support of the National Endowment for the Arts. At the same time, provide strong tax incentives for entities who do support the arts.